30 August 2013

how to: make a new home feel like an old home

Or: how to only take a photo of yourself doubling over in laughter because of a reason I can't even remember now

Ahoy from my new place of residence! I've officially adopted the hip inner city lifestyle and I gotta say, it's darn marvelous. Good coffee, food and a 24 hour supermarket all a pleasant stroll away? The soothing sounds of the train in the distance? My favourite cinema down the road? Leederville, you've got me charmed.

But this new house? We're still getting to know each other. Turns out moving is super weird! Because having a constant sense of 'home' is important for our souls, you know? And not everyone's brain can adjust to a new place quickly. So I thought I'd gather all the wisdom I've gained over the past six days and put together a wee guide.

So. How To Make a New Home Feel Like an Old Home:

1. Personalise.

Call me materialistic but physical possessions mean a lot - they help express who we are and what we like, they provide tangible objects to which memories and emotions can be attached, and they can help provide a sense of home. Example: the first thing I unpacked when I reached my new bedroom were my clothes, because duh, met me? And seeing an empty wardrobe transform into a full and colourful one felt pretty good. Then I arranged my books. And put up posters and art and photos. Laid out all my jewellery. And now this room feels more like me.

2. Have some quality bonding time.

I woke up for the first time in my new bed and I felt... awful. Just horrible. The most killer sore throat had found its way into me over night and I was sat there thinking, 'shit, I gotta take care of myself now? Girl's gotta source her own buttermenthols?' Correct girl. So anyway, fever-y and feeling pretty much braindead for most of the day, I got comfortable on the couch. Some excellent bonding time with the new place! I did not feel at all great, but I am totally bffs with that couch now.

3. Show it off.

Settled in? More or less? Invite friends over! Show them around, make them a cup of tea, have a good yarn in a new environment - as soon as you have to play good host and get your domestic on, I guarantee the place will start to feel more like yours.

4. Get drinking.

You know how when you're smashed everyone and everything is either your best friend or your worst enemy? Fingers crossed for the former.

5. Give it time.

So I've only been here just under a week, but with each new day everything's starting to feel more familiar. I can't wait to find out how it feels after a couple weeks, a month and more. And finally,

6. Spend some time away.

I think this will be the ultimate cinch. If you crash at a mate's overnight, or escape to the country for the weekend, or another city for a week - the moment you get back and collapse into your bed and soak into it's comfort... yep. That's when it's officially home.

That's just my theory! Got some advice of your own? Please share!

Lisa xx

8 comments:

  1. Wow you really got deep like six get away. Good post.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not being materialistic! It's completely natural and unavoidably part of our subconscious! For me at least, my environment is factor n°1 on how confident I feel, definitely!
    Yeah, I'm like an old cat, need at least a month to get used to a new place. -Anyway, it's pretty hilarious how much it sounds like dating, though ;)


    X, Comtesse Sofia

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice post! feels from the heart! :)

    Following you now on GFC and Bloglovin! Hope you follow me back :)

    http://beatricemalveda.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving is always an interesting experience... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your new home! I agree with point 6. The home feels even more like home after spending some time away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new neighborhood sounds great I remember the excitement of moving into a new neighborhood and discovering it so much fun.

    Ali of Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you on the 'invite people over' point, I think of my home as where a lot of my memories are, so I think it's always important to start creating good new ones right away when you move. Enjoy your new place & I hope you feel properly settled in soon! :)

    ReplyDelete